Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Municipal Madness

Saw this on CNBC:

Meredith Whitney's dismal prediction for municipality defaults is wrong and Whitney should probably do some more homework on the muni bond market, said Suzanne Shank, CEO and co-founder of Sibert Brandford Shank & Co, a municipal investment bank.
Now Shank admits she hasn't read Whitney's report on muni defaults in detail, but she sticks by her notion that Whitney's outlook is wrong.
"I have not read her report in detail. I have seen her on television. I admire her predictions of the banks, which she has analyzed for many years," said Shank. "I’m not sure she has the background in the municipal arena…And I just wish she understood the security structure underlying the bonds a little more.”
This is what I love about markets - a muni firm comes out and dismisses MW without reading what she says.  Self serving?  YES.  I am in the process of doing a piece on muni bonds which should address the various issues from a historical perspective and a forward looking perspective.  As I do this, any insight of information would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

A student of the markets that has held portfolio management, analysis and trading positions for over 15 years.