Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What NOT To Say

Thought this was funny.  What would you say?

Killer interview question: Could you tell us something remarkable?

Sep 27, 2010
This question was asked at an interview for a junior-level position at an investment bank.

The background

It was a third-round interview and the panel seemed to have exhausted their questions. But as the interview drew to a close, the head interviewer said: “As we have five minutes left, could you tell us something remarkable?”

How the candidate responded

My mind was blank, but before I could stop the words leaving my mouth I said: “Well, I will tell you something remarkable. I have been dating my girlfriend for three years at university and have never once been faithful, and she has never once found out. That is remarkable.”

Did the candidate get the job?

I sat back to a strange silence, then the head interviewer lifted his head and said: “I cannot put this simpler: banking involves trust and integrity. You have just blown this interview.”

Stunned by my own stupidity, I stood up, shook hands and left.


What would you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

A student of the markets that has held portfolio management, analysis and trading positions for over 15 years.